SEE THE BEST THERE IS TOO SEE OF THE RIDGE
Daily 9am & 2pm – 7 days a week
Duration of the TOWN TOUR is about 3 hours
We run this tour if we have a minimum of two adults bookings.
- Friendly and knowledgeable local tour guides. All our guides were raised or have lived in our multi-cultural town for a long time and all of us have been involved in the opal industry in one way or another
- Visit the WALK-IN MINE (Opal Mine Adventure) and experience firsthand the conditions and atmosphere of opal mining on a guided underground tour with us. Entry fee for the WALK-IN MINE is included in our price. This mine is the most easily accessed mine (wide stairs and rails) in Lightning Ridge and was originally a real working opal mine.
- Opportunity for fossicking (this means looking for opals) and catching the opal bug
- Travel past miner’s camps and through the scenic Three Mile Opal Fields
- Visit Lunatic Hill open cut – the biggest and richest open cut in Lightning Ridge
- We take you to the famous Lightning Ridge tourist attraction AMIGO´S CASTLE which has been featured on “Better Homes and Gardens” with Johanna Griggs. OUTBACK OPAL TOURS is the only tour operator in town with exclusive rights to show you around AMIGO´S CASTLE (entry price also already included in our price)
- See and hear all about life past & present on the opal fields and about the amazing and quirky characters that choose to live here in our unique outback mining town
- Complementary morning or afternoon tea and biscuits supplied for you
- Learn about our world famous Black Opal and opal mining in Lightning Ridge
- Want to see how opal is transformed from the rough into a beautiful gem? Our opal cutting demonstration will take you into the workshop of an experienced opal cutters. She also is an opal carver and an expert in her field. You will also have the opportunity to sight a great variety of the best quality and exquisite opals browsing through the shop
- Fantastic photo opportunities on this tour. We are happy to stop the bus for you to get the picture you want – just let us know
- If you know the show OUTBACK OPAL HUNTERS on Discovery Channel you will see some of the places seen on the show on and learn about the teams if you are interested
- Pick-up and drop-off conveniently from your accommodation place in town or the Visitor Information Centre
These are only some of the things you will see and experience when you come with us on one of our morning or afternoon tours. We love Lightning Ridge and we are very passionate about our black opal industry. There is so much to see & to hear and it will be a great experience for you to see our unique and a little bit crazy outback mining town of Lightning Ridge with OUTBACK OPAL TOURS.